Shrimp and Cheesy Grits
This Cajun entree is a real crowd pleaser!
- 1 16oz bag frozen shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup instant or old-fashioned grits
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 milk (optional)
- 2-3 oz cheese of your choice (I like sharp cheddar)
- 3-4 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley
- 1 tsp or so Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 3 strips bacon (optional) I leave this out.
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- Thaw your shrimp, rinse them off, and pat them dry. I snap off the tails now, so I don't have to do it later.
- Prepare your grits as per the instructions. I add milk and 1/2 tbsp butter to my grits to make them extra creamy. This is optional. Remember to keep whisking your grits as they cook, or they can be lumpy or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Prepare your bacon if you're adding that to this recipe, let it cool, and chop it into small pieces.
- As the grits tighten up, melt the rest of the butter in a pan, add the shrimp, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and the parsley. Warm up your shrimp, as they are already cooked, and let all these ingredients come together.
- Plate your grits, then top with the shrimp, then sprinkle the bacon and green onions on top.